Rick Warren needs very little introduction. The planter and pastor of Saddleback Church in Orange County, California for 43 years, Warren is widely considered one of the most influential spiritual leaders in America. His book The Purpose-Driven Life has been translated into 137 languages and sold more than 50 million copies.
And yet, on February 21, the Southern Baptist Convention disfellowshipped Saddleback Church due to their hiring of a female teaching pastor.
On this episode of The Russell Moore Show, Warren and Moore discuss the SBC’s decision and how it reflects on the convention’s response to sexual abuse. They talk about women in ministry, how to determine primary and secondary theological issues, and what healthy pastoral transitions may look like. And they share profound reasons for hope when it comes to the gospel going forth among the nations—even in a time when many fear Christianity’s influence is diminishing.
Tune in for an episode that candidly acknowledges the difficulties of Christian life and ministry while celebrating the goodness of God.
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren
- Created to Dream by Rick Warren
- Rick Warren’s Bible Study Methods by Rick Warren
- 700 Plans to Evangelize the World by David B. Barrett and James W. Reapsome
- A Theology for the Church edited by Daniel L. Akin (chapter referenced: “Conclusion: The Pastor as Theologian” by R. Albert Mohler, Jr.)
- One Divine Moment edited by Robert E. Coleman and David J. Gyertson
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Production Assistance: coreMEDIA
Audio Engineer: Kevin Duthu
Coordinator: Beth Grabenkort
Video Producer: John Roland
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton